Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. Today I remember every American who has ever served in the U.S. military, whether by choice or by obligation. I remember with sadness those who have died in uniform, especially those I was lucky enough to know:



Nicholas Mason
KIA 21 DEC 2004, Mosul, Iraq



David Ruhren
KIA 21 DEC 2004, Mosul, Iraq



Jonathan Forde
Died 13 AUG 2007



David Lambert
KIA 26 OCT 2007, Baghdad, Iraq



Derek Banks
KIA 14 NOV 2007, Baghdad, Iraq



Jeremiah McNeal
KIA 6 APR 2008, Baghdad, Iraq

You can read a tribute I wrote to Jeremiah McNeal when I learned of his death about this time last year here. You may also take the time to read a story I wrote for the Virginia Quarterly Review about Nick Mason, David Ruhren, and two other veterans of Charlie Co. 276th Engineer Battalion who were close to Nick and David. The VQR story, "A Few Unforeseen Things," includes video footage of interviews with the Mason family and David's mother, Sonja Ruhren. I hoped the videos and the stories could help non-military people think about what it means to serve, to lose, and to return. And I hope these stories can be memorials in their own right.

No comments: